Here at Reston Dental Care, we use 3D cone beam imaging, also known as CBCT (cone beam computed tomography). This is a modern dental imaging technology we use to generate detailed 3D images of the mouth, teeth, jawbone and facial structures. It has become an essential tool in the field of dentistry, providing dental professionals like us with accurate and precise information for diagnosis, treatment planning and implant placement.
When Is 3D Cone Beam Imaging Used?
Our dentists and team may use 3D cone beam imaging for:
- Implant placement: CBCT imaging is commonly used in implant dentistry to plan and place dental implants with precision. The 3D images allow us to evaluate the quality and quantity of bone in the jaw, determine the optimal placement for the implant, and avoid important structures such as nerves and blood vessels.
- Orthodontic treatment: This technology allows us to evaluate the position of teeth and the alignment of the jaw. The images can help us determine if you are a good candidate for Invisalign® clear aligners.
- Endodontic treatment: Our team uses this technology to diagnose and treat complex cases of root canal therapy. The 3D images allow dentists to visualize the root canal system, identify any irregularities or fractures, and plan the treatment accordingly.
- TMJ evaluation: We can use this technology to evaluate the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), which connects the jaw to the skull. The images can help diagnose TMJ disorders, such as joint inflammation, arthritis or disc displacement.
- Trauma evaluation: CBCT imaging can be used to evaluate dental trauma, such as fractures, dislocations or avulsions. The images can help diagnose the extent of the damage and plan the appropriate treatment.
Benefits of 3D Cone Beam Imaging
There are many benefits from utilizing 3D cone beam imaging in our office, such as:
- Reduced radiation exposure: CBCT imaging emits significantly less radiation compared to traditional CT scans, making it a safer option for patients. Additionally, the cone-shaped beam used in CBCT imaging focuses the radiation only on the targeted area, reducing unnecessary exposure to other parts of the body.
- Improved patient communication: These images can be easily shared with patients, allowing you to visualize and understand your dental conditions better. This improved communication helps you make informed decisions about your oral health.
- Faster treatment: CBCT imaging produces high-quality images quickly and with minimal preparation, enabling us to diagnose and treat patients faster. This saves time for both you and our team.
Contact Us Today!
Looking for quality dental care in Reston, Virginia? Give us a call today at 703-689-0110 to schedule a consultation with our dentists, Dr. Jenny Cheung and associates. We look forward to caring for you.