At Reston Dental Care, we strive to preserve your natural teeth as much as possible. However, it may be necessary for our dentists and team to perform a tooth extraction in certain situations when other dental treatments are not effective or possible. If not, you can face potential dental problems that can affect your health and your wallet.
When Is a Tooth Extraction Needed?
You many need a tooth extraction if you have:
- Severe tooth decay: If the decay in a tooth has reached too far into the pulp, the innermost part of the tooth containing nerves and blood vessels, a root canal treatment may not be possible. In such cases, extraction may be necessary to prevent infection and pain.
- Gum disease: Advanced gum disease can cause teeth to become loose and eventually fall out. In some cases, extraction may be necessary to remove a severely damaged or infected tooth to prevent further damage to surrounding teeth and bone.
- Overcrowding: When there is not enough space in the jaw for all the teeth to fit comfortably, teeth can become overcrowded and crooked. In such cases, extraction may be necessary to make room for orthodontic treatment, such as clear aligners.
- Impacted wisdom teeth: Wisdom teeth, or third molars, may become impacted if there is not enough room for them to emerge properly. This can cause pain, infection and damage to surrounding teeth. Extraction may be necessary to prevent these problems.
- Trauma: If a tooth is severely damaged or broken due to trauma, such as a sports injury or accident, extraction may be necessary if the tooth cannot be repaired.
Benefits of Tooth Extractions
There are many benefits from having a tooth removed. This includes:
- Pain relief: Extracting a severely damaged or infected tooth can relieve pain and discomfort.
- Improved oral health: Removing a damaged or decayed tooth can prevent the spread of infection and other dental problems.
- Enhanced appearance: If a tooth is severely damaged or discolored, extraction can improve the appearance of your smile.
- Improved overall health: Oral infections can spread to other parts of the body and cause systemic health issues. Extracting a damaged or infected tooth can help prevent these problems.
Keep Your Smile Healthy Today!
If you are experiencing tooth pain, infection or other dental problems, please contact us at 703-689-0110 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jenny Cheung and associates for tooth extractions in Reston, Virginia, here at Reston Dental Care.