Night guards are dental appliances designed to protect your teeth from damage caused by grinding or clenching your teeth at night, a condition called bruxism. If this is the case for you, our dentists may highly recommend you come in for a consultation for a customized night guard.
The Fitting Process
The fitting process of a night guard is an important step to ensure that it will be comfortable, effective and properly aligned with your teeth.
Here are the steps involved in the fitting process for a night guard:
- Consultation: Before getting a night guard, you will need to schedule an appointment here at Reston Dental Care. During the consultation, our dentists and team will examine your teeth and discuss the symptoms you are experiencing. We may also take X-rays to assess the extent of any damage caused by grinding or clenching.
- Impressions: After the consultation, we will take impressions of your teeth. This will create a mold of your teeth that will be used to create your night guard.
- Bite registration: Our team may also take a bite registration, which is a record of how your teeth come together when you bite down. This will ensure that your night guard fits properly and does not interfere with your bite.
- Night guard creation: Once the impressions and bite registration are complete, your night guard will be created. There are different materials that can be used, such as hard acrylic or soft rubber, and we will recommend the best type for your needs.
- Fitting: When your night guard is ready, you will return to our office for the fitting. Dr. Jenny Cheung and associates will check the fit and adjust the night guard as needed to ensure that it is comfortable and properly aligned with your teeth.
- Follow-up: After the fitting, we will give you instructions on how to use and care for your night guard. We may also schedule a follow-up appointment to check the fit and make any necessary adjustments.
It is important to wear your night guard as directed to protect your teeth from further damage caused by grinding or clenching. If you experience any discomfort or have any concerns about your night guard, be sure to contact our office.
Benefits of Night Guards
Aside from protecting your teeth, there are many benefits to wearing a night guard, including:
- Reduces pain and discomfort: By cushioning the teeth and preventing excessive pressure, night guards can help reduce pain and discomfort associated with bruxism, including headaches and jaw pain.
- Improves sleep quality: Night guards can help improve sleep quality by reducing disturbances caused by grinding and clenching, allowing for a more restful night’s sleep.
- Saves money on dental treatment: By preventing damage to teeth, night guards can save you money on expensive dental treatments such as crowns, bridges and root canals.
- Enhances overall oral health: By promoting healthy tooth alignment and preventing excessive pressure on teeth, night guards can contribute to overall oral health and reduce the risk of related health problems.
Contact Us Today!
Do you grind and clench your teeth while asleep? If so, give us a call today at 703-689-0110 to schedule a consultation with our dentists and team to see if night guards in Reston, Virginia, are right for you.