Bone grafting is a surgical procedure used to repair and regenerate bone tissue that has been damaged or lost due to injury or disease. It involves transplanting bone tissue from one area of the body to another or using synthetic materials to stimulate new bone growth in the jaw. With a consultation at Reston Dental Care, we can evaluate your smile to see if bone grafting in Reston, Virginia, is necessary, especially if you are looking into dental implants.
When Is a Bone Graft Necessary?
There are several reasons why you may need a bone graft, including:
- To repair bone fractures that have not healed properly
- To replace bone lost due to trauma or injury
- To stimulate new bone growth after bone infections or tumors
- To support dental implants or other orthopedic procedures
What To Expect
Our dentists may perform a bone graft using different techniques, depending on the severity of the bone loss and the location of the affected area. Some common techniques include:
- Autograft: using bone tissue from another part of your body, usually taken from the hip or leg
- Allograft: using bone tissue from a donor, either a deceased person or a living relative
- Xenograft: using bone tissue from a nonhuman source, such as a cow or pig
- Synthetic grafts: using artificial materials that stimulate bone growth, such as calcium-based compounds or hydroxyapatite
The procedure for bone grafting typically involves making an incision in the affected area and placing the bone graft material in the damaged or missing bone tissue. The incision is then closed with stitches, and a splint or cast may be applied to immobilize the affected area and promote healing.
Following your procedure, you will enter a recovery period. This can vary depending on the size and location of the affected area, as well as the type of bone graft used. You may experience some discomfort, swelling and bruising for several weeks after the procedure. Be sure to follow the post-op instructions given to you by our office.
Benefits of Bone Grafting
By having a bone graft, you can:
- Improve bone strength and stability
- Reduce risk of fractures or bone deformities
- Enhance healing and tissue regeneration
- Find support for dental implants or other procedures
Schedule a Consultation Today!
If you are experiencing bone loss or damage due to injury or disease, bone grafting may be a viable treatment option. We invite you to contact us at 703-689-0110 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jenny Cheung and associates and see if this treatment is right for you.