When you visit Reston Dental Care for an examination or treatment, our dentists may use digital X-rays as part of our diagnostic process. Digital X-rays allow us to identify and confirm many different dental issues including:
- Tooth decay
- Damaged restorations
- Cysts and abscesses
- Bone loss
- Infection in the roots
- Abnormalities with the teeth
What To Expect
Digital X-rays are taken in a similar way to traditional film X-rays but with some key differences in the equipment and process. Here is a step-by-step guide to how digital X-rays are taken in dentistry:
- Placement: We will place a small sensor or a small handheld device inside your mouth. This sensor is connected to a computer that captures the X-ray image, and the handheld device is used to position the sensor correctly.
- Capturing the image: The sensor or handheld device is then activated, and a beam of X-rays is passed through your teeth and gums to the sensor. The sensor captures the X-ray image and sends it to the computer for processing.
- Reviewing the image: The X-ray image appears on the computer screen within seconds, and we can review it immediately. Our team can zoom in on specific areas of the image and adjust the brightness and contrast to get a clearer view of any issues.
- Saving the image: Once we are satisfied with the image, we can save it electronically and attach it to your dental record. This makes it easy for us to access the image in the future and compare it to previous images to track changes over time.
Benefits of Digital X-Rays
There are many advantages to utilizing digital X-rays here at Reston Dental Care, including:
- Lower radiation exposure: These X-rays use 90% less radiation than traditional film X-rays, making them safer for patients. This is especially important for patients who require frequent X-rays or for children, who are more sensitive to radiation.
- Faster image processing: We can produce images instantly without the need for film development. This means that we can review your X-rays right away and begin treatment more quickly.
- Higher image quality: Digital X-rays produce high-quality images we can use to zoom in and adjust for brightness and contrast. This allows us to see even the smallest details and detect issues that may be missed with traditional film X-rays.
- Environmentally friendly: These X-rays are more environmentally friendly than traditional film X-rays because they do not require chemicals for development and can be stored electronically.
Schedule Your Visit Today!
Digital X-rays offer many benefits over traditional film X-rays and can help us provide you with better care. So, the next time you visit Reston Dental Care, you can feel confident knowing that we are using the latest technology to help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Give us a call today at 703-689-0110 to schedule with Dr. Jenny Cheung and associates and learn more about digital X-rays in Reston, Virginia.