Sleep apnea appliances are devices designed to treat obstructive sleep apnea, a condition where the airway becomes partially or completely blocked during sleep, causing breathing pauses and disruptions in sleep patterns. These appliances work by keeping the airway open, allowing for easier breathing and more restful sleep. If you have mild to moderate sleep apnea and are tired of using a CPAP, we invite you to contact our dentists and team here at Reston Dental Care.
The Fitting Process
The fitting process for sleep apnea appliances typically involves several steps. These include:
- Consultation: The first step in the fitting process is to consult with our dentists and team. We will assess your condition, review your medical history and recommend the best type of appliance for your needs.
- Digital impressions: Once you have decided on a particular appliance, the next step is to take digital impressions of your teeth. This involves us scanning your mouth with a small handheld device to capture the right measurements for your oral appliance.
- Custom fabrication: The digital impressions are sent to a dental lab where a custom sleep apnea appliance is fabricated based on the precise measurements of your teeth and jaw. This ensures a comfortable and secure fit.
- Fitting: Once the appliance is ready, you will return to our office for a fitting appointment. During your visit, we will place the appliance in your mouth and make any necessary adjustments to ensure it fits comfortably and securely.
- Follow-up appointments: After the fitting, you will likely need to schedule follow-up appointments so we can monitor your progress and make any additional adjustments to the appliance as needed.
Benefit of Sleep Apnea Treatment
There are many benefits of sleep apnea treatment, including:
- Improved quality of sleep
- Reduced snoring and breathing disruptions during sleep
- Increased energy and reduced daytime fatigue
- Improved mood and overall sense of well-being
- Lower risk of developing other health issues associated with untreated sleep apnea, such as high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.
Wake Up Energized Again
If you suspect you may have sleep apnea, it is important to seek diagnosis and treatment from a health care provider. The benefits of treatment can be life-changing and can improve not only your quality of sleep but also your overall health and well-being. Do not hesitate to take action and get the help you need to achieve restful, healthy sleep. Call us today at 703-689-0110 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jenny Cheung and associates and learn more about sleep apnea treatment in Reston, Virginia.