Composite dental fillings are a common restorative procedure we use to repair small to medium-sized cavities. They are also known as tooth-colored fillings because they can be made to match the natural color of your teeth, making them less noticeable than traditional silver amalgam fillings. During a checkup here at Reston Dental Care, our dentists can check to see if you have any cavities to know if composite dental fillings are the next step for you.
What To Expect
If you are scheduled for a composite filling, here is what you can expect:
- Numbing: Our dentists will numb the area around the tooth with a local anesthetic. This will ensure that you do not feel any pain during the procedure.
- Removal of decay: Once the area is numb, we will remove the decayed portion of the tooth using a drill or laser. This will create a clean surface for the filling to bond to.
- Application of the composite: We will apply the composite material in layers, using a special light to harden each layer. Once the filling is built up to the proper size, we will shape and polish it to match the natural contour of your tooth.
- Bite test: Before you leave the office, we will check your bite to make sure the filling is not interfering with your normal chewing motion.
After the procedure, it is common to experience some sensitivity to hot and cold foods or beverages. This should subside within a few days. It is also important to maintain good oral hygiene practices, including brushing and flossing regularly, to prevent future decay from forming around the filling.
Benefits of Composite Dental Fillings
Benefits of composite dental fillings include:
- Natural appearance: Composite fillings can be matched to the color of your teeth, making them virtually indistinguishable from the surrounding tooth enamel.
- Versatility: These can be used to repair small to medium-sized cavities.
- Bonding ability: Composite fillings can bond directly to the tooth structure, which can help to strengthen the tooth and prevent further decay.
- Preservation of healthy tooth structure: Composite fillings require less removal of healthy tooth structure than traditional amalgam fillings.
- Durability: With proper care, these fillings can last for many years.
Contact Our Office Today!
Do not let tooth decay go untreated, schedule an appointment with Dr. Jenny Cheung and associates at 703-689-0110 for composite dental fillings in Reston, Virginia.